Friday, February 19, 2010

Pondering "Soft Power"


Recently I came across an old copy of Harpar's Bazaar, while dining in a little cafe in London. While flipping through pages, the quote pictured here caught my eye.
Now I know the term "soft power" is nothing new to us anymore, but a little refresher in just exactly what it implies, gave me a lot to think about....
I found an interesting definition on Wikipedia..
"Soft power is the ability to obtain what you want through co-option and attraction. It is in contradistinction to 'hard power', which is the use of coercion and payment. Soft power can be wielded not just by states, but by all actors in international politics, such as NGO's or international institutions.[2] The idea of attraction as a form of power did not originate with Nye or Lukes, and can be dated back to such ancient Chinese philosophers as Lao Tsu in the 7th century BC, but the modern development dates back only to the late 20th century."

No comments:

Post a Comment